Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Fridge...

I think you can learn a lot about a person based on their fridge. Some people have fancy stainless side by side refrigerators.(Over achievers) Some have ice makers on the door. (People who have over scheduled themselves to the point where they can't take the time to crack the ice cubes out of a tray) Some even have fridges with drawers. (People who have lived overseas at some point in their lives)
Most people put their leftovers in Tupperware before they put items in. (Martha Stewart wannabees) Some people throw some tinfoil over leftovers.(Rednecks) Some people still use metal ice trays.(People over 60) Some people put batteries in the freezer to keep them fresh.(Cheapskates) Some people have computer chips in their fridges to ensure the freshness of their veggies. (Over achievers with extra money)

I have an old school, one handle (that wiggles when you open it), freezer on top, no ice maker fridge. Nothing new or fancy about it. I make ice with little blue trays. I don't keep many leftovers so no tinfoil or Tupperware for me. I am a pretty simple girl. The beauty of my fridge is not the brand, the style, or whats inside. My whole world is stuck on the outside of my fridge. Sort of like me, I keep it all sort of "out there."
Mainly I put photos. Every time I walk into my kitchen, I look at those photos and remember what is so good about my life. I have a magnet that my sister gave me a few months after my divorce was finalized. I was about to sign a contract with an adoption agency. It says,
"Then, when it seems we will never smile again, life comes back."
I cried when she gave it to me. At the time, I was so angry at life, but just on the edge of finding some happiness. And the silly magnet was right. Life did come back.
When I go for my ten thousandth diet coke, my eyes scan and see my Anna sitting on my great grandmother's lap. I remember back to that day when all of my father's family met Anna.
I look at the Hoozez family picture and marvel at the wonder that is 5 children! I see my dad holding my gals last Christmas, and my mom sitting with Anna before her ballet recital.
Maybe they are just pictures, maybe its just a jiggly handled old school, no ice making, fridge.
But I don't think so....

3 comments:

Annie said...

Lovely! I made the ENORMOUS mistake of wanting something to at least LOOK different when I paid that much for a new fridge - so I got the - what it is it ? aluminum? Anyway - magnets will not stick! What a nightmare! If I want something on there I have to tape it. BIG mistake! And WHY didn't they advertise that issue? For heavens sake! What are refrigerators for?

Annie said...

BTW - you are officially a link on my blog. Anyone who dreams of teaching in Russia is obviously a soulmate of mine!

Jojo, Julz, Jules said...

Annie,
I added your blog to mine too!
Teaching overseas is a big longshot, but worth the effort to try!!
Happy New Year!