Sunday, February 01, 2009

After All of My Hard Work, This??

I mess up as a parent all of the time. I am a messy housekeeper, I can't cook very well, and I secretly give my children diet coke. But one thing I know I do very well, is that I have kept them young. I haven't dressed them in super fashion forward clothes, I tend to go with bright colorful shirts and pants. (There are no cheeky t-shirts with innapropriate sayings) I haven't peirced their ears, nor do they get to anytime soon. My girls are not allowed to watch the news, Hanna Montana, Spongebob, or any of the "action figure" type cartoons. They are closely watched where this is concerned...
Again, I can mess up a lot. I am not super parent. The one thing I think they will know, is that life is fun, and mommy loves them. It makes me think of a song about children staying young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ17tutZtd8

So having my daughter come to me and say, "Mommy I am FreeBalling tonight." mortified me. She had gone to swim class in her bathing suit so when it was time to get dressed, her auntie didn't have any undies to put on her. So Auntie, my wild sister taught her that when you go without underwear it is called the before mentioned, FREEBALLING. Are you kidding me? I almost fell out of my chair when my sweet little 5 year old told me this. I couldn't help but laugh just a little. But this is just the kind of thing we have never done. Thanks Auntie, I think I might buy you a puppy and feed it bunches of greens and caffeine and send it to your house!!

3 comments:

kate said...

Yeah, it would've mortified me too. If I'd known what it meant...

Annie said...

I wouldn't have known what it meant either. I thought that was "going commando".

I was SO careful to keep my older kids "young" and innocent and sweet. But my Russians have come with a variety of experiences, many of which are the opposite of that!

Maybe Kate can comment on this. Russian children seem to stay young, but be very mature all at once. I like the combination.

Tina in CT said...

I never heard that term either. I also thought it was going commando which we've done. Maybe your sister could go with your wishes concerning the girls.