Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Best Children's Beach in the Whole Wide World

My dad lives on Naples Beach. It is a very low key sort of beach town. No boardwalk, none of the super tacky BEACH souvenir stores on every corner. The mall here has a Tiffany's, Coach, Gucci, Kate Spade, Burberry, and some diamond shops that actually have guards outside. (They are dressed in suits, but nonetheless, they are there) We went to that mall to get icecream, and walk the millions of fountains. The people are lovely. Full of money, but lovely. Everyone enjoys seeing two little ones, as this is a retirement area for most. The reason I think I love this beach so much is the people who come to enjoy it. This year, there are many Floridians here. This is rare, but with the economy like it is, many are taking "Staycations" and are here with us.




You can see how easy it is to just play and relax. Sometimes I go up to my chair and watch from the comfort of the umbrella. The water is often as smooth as glass, and the stingrays come by so often, my children just stand still, or float on their toys and watch them go by. They have come to love seeing them, and enjoy their beauty. I have too.


We met a guy the other day. He had it rough. He was alone and had a baby boy that was about one year old, and a little daughter who was about 4 who had Down Syndrome. I watched as he tried to keep up with both kids. The little guy did not love the water, but the baby did. So here is this guy, running between two spots on the sand trying to make both kids happy. It wasn't long until my girls walked up to play in the sand with the little girl. This freed Dad up to sit on the edge of the water with his little guy. Later they all got together to build castles and dig holes in the sand. He seemed to be a great dad with such care and concern for both of his little ones. He taught the kids how to make "sand shoes, sand boots, and sand pants."
I felt for this man. He didn't seem out of the ordinary, didn't seem like a superhero, but how tough his role is. I thought about him and his little family for days.
I am not sure I could have handled it. I wonder.














1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

Did this man have a Mrs?