Tuesday, September 08, 2009

First Day Of School

It's after nine and I am whipped.
Teaching kindergarten at my school is like trying to catch minnows with two fingers.
While wearing a blindfold, on crutches, with heals....
Today was sooo much better than last year, but we have a long way to go. The English is not as strong as I wish, and some parents sent their babies with no supplies, and without indicating how they would go home...
The beautiful part was several girls and one boy took their shoes off after lunch,
"CAUSE MY FEET HURT." How precious to see brand new shiny tennis shoes on the floor, knowing those brand new suckers aren't broken in yet, and causing baby blisters on tiny feet! So we broke the golden rule, and let 'em keep their shoes off. I KNOW all about hurting feet so I could feel for them!
Not one child cried today, but all 24 of them must have asked 40 times when they could eat! (And when is it play time?)

My own daughter started 1st grade today. She also rode the bus for the first time.
(Yes, my mother followed it)
She was over the moon excited that she got to do this.
We dressed in our bestest Ralph Lauren outfit, on sale for 30% percent off, (free shipping) and Twinkle Toe tennis shoes. Shoes that were NOT on sale, and who hurt my babies feet! My gal's teacher is lovely, and she has several friends from last year's class with her. We are thrilled.
Oh, and something so typical happened when we went to the "Meet-n-Greet" last week.
After meeting Anna's teacher we went to visit Mrs. Hall from last year. She walked in and hugged her very tight! When Anna pulled back she was bawling her eyes out. She said, "I have missed you so much." Then Mrs. Hall got misty, which made me get misty, and then my mom too! It was crazy. I have always known about my Anna's deep connections to people who she gets to know well. These are all parts of her empathy and ability to really care for people, that will serve her well when she grows up. BUT Lordy Mercy, I felt like such a sap standing there crying!!

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

How nice that your daughter is such a sweetie and has such feelings for last year's teacher.

You have 24 in your class - wow, busy!

Tina in CT said...

How is the packing going for your move in two weeks?

Have you put your present condo on the market?

Annie said...

Now, wouldn't it be a delight to be your daughter's teacher. I'd have been crying too, if I'd just been a fly on the wall!