Friday, September 04, 2009


So today, Friday, was our open house. At 11:00 am my two lovely teammates and I met to have lunch and actually talk about our plan for Tuesday. When I tell you that the first day of kindergarten can be chaotic, I am understating it by a million. Our goal on that first day, is just to get the children through the day. Most will struggle tremendously. Today as the Kindie Team talked about our strategy, we got a call, that each of us had gotten new students. 11:00 am. Our Open House was at 12:00. We panicked and let the office know that we were eating, and still needed to change clothes and freshen up, but our faithful office staff let us know that they told the parents of those very late arrivers that the classrooms would not reflect their recent registration, and that a prepared laminated name card, a cute little desktop necklace, or little packet of school info would not be ready for them.
Bummer for the children. And of course I blame the idiot parents for registering their child on the day we have Open House...BUT that is the icky part. The not so great part is that I now have 24 students, and no more space for anymore. Now if a child arrives, I have to squeeze them at the end of a table, where there really isn't space. But if we all get 25 or 26 students, we are required to open up a new class. But I won't hold my breath.
So now onto the wonderful part.
Out of 24 students, 20 families showed up for our meet and greet. Of all of those children, I was able to communicate with all of them. Some did not speak English, but could easily take my direction when I took them to the side of the class to take their photo. I have many little brothers and sisters, and several cousins of other students I have had in the past. Today was like old home week in El Salvador. Lots of families came to visit, including my little gal from last year who reminded me of my own daughter. One family stayed for the two hours, just talking about their family. They stayed in "Salba-door" and little F had lots to share about his time in his country. This little guy had on a tie. He will one day be someone special.(although he is darling now)
Everyone in my school knows him because he is about 2 foot tall, no teeth in the front, is known to wear a suit and tie on special days, and says words like,
ashually (actually)
son tines (sometimes)
a bittle bit (a little bit)
jello (yellow)
hat mess (hot mess) *He learned that from me!
Today I didn't feel like a school teacher. Today I felt like an auntie. I know that this year, I will be able to speak honestly to these parents about their children, and not have to constantly remind parents about what they need to be doing. This group seems very ready.
So now, it's almost 8:00 pm and I am beat. I have aches and pains in body parts and joints that I didn't know I had. Thank you for all of your well wishes, and it looks like the potty won't be an issue this year!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You'll do great this year! More good things to come!

Tina in CT said...

Looks like it's going to be a good year. Yeah.