Thursday, October 22, 2009

Another GreenGirl is Down...

Anna has the swine flu. The school called me today and said she had a 103.9 fever. Needless to say, I called super grandma who was at the school in record time and took my sweet sugar bear to the urgent care center. I left work in tears and met them there.
The doctor did the nasal swab and shared that the flu that is going around, is not the seasonal flu, and that 90 percent of it is the swine flu. So, she tested positive, and he gave us a prescription for Tamiflu. Anna had no traditional flu symptoms. Yesterday when I came home she said she had a headache and actually went to sleep at 5-ish. I woke her up for a tub and she continued to complain of a headache so I gave her a couple of Tylenol Meltaways. When she woke up this morning she said her headache was gone. The doctor said that since that was the only symptom, we had to watch that single symptom for signs of decline or improvement. I was told that after she took 4 doses of the Tamiflu her fever should be lower. He said if it ever got above 100 after the 4 doses, she needed to be taken to the emergency room. He was very firm, and gave me a list of items that I needed to have. He told me to get both Motrin and Tylenol, he wanted her to have at least one full glass of Pedialite each day while on the Tamiflu. And he did say that if she began to have diarrhea and vomiting, she would need to go to the emergency room. He was fantastic with the information, and said to keep her out of school and in the bed for at least 5 days.
I am hoping to hear about my MRI results tomorrow. It isn't any better, and I can't keep taking Vicodin and muscle relaxers for too much longer. They tire me out, and I am ready to pick out more funky paint colors and put the GreenGirlz touch on the walls around here.

I have to share it once again, that my parents are real angels. Seriously, both of these people mortified me when I was a teenager. I actually wished for boarding school when I was young. But now, I am not afraid to admit that I need these two. I cannot imagine my life and my girls lives without their constant presence. I know that God has blessed me with them as a gift, so I know I owe the big guy!
My dad has his house for sale in Florida. Yes, the beach house is on the market! BUT giving up that home means my dad can be with us more. Since we moved, my girls have gotten so used to having him around, that we can't go back to seeing him every few months.
Sometimes, I tend to want to do things on my own, you know, being a grown up and all...But I have been so comforted by my dad's "handyman" type of projects around the house, and of course knowing my mom has the girl's school and dance classes taken care of is another God send.
So we are resting and "belaxing" as AugustRose says, and hoping for wellness soon.

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Thank goodness it was caught right away and that the doctor was so good. Did he give the vaccine to you and your other daughter?

I hope she is feeling stronger each day.

I wish my daughter, SIL and the girls could get the vaccine soon.

The Expatresse said...

A friend of ours (French)had swine flu this summer. He had to self-quarantine for ten days. But he said no one ever check on him. He did it, but was shocked he never even got a phone call from anyone official.

Anonymous said...

Good that she went right on Tamiflu. Sounds like you have a great doc. Working with all these scientists, I have heard so much about H1N1 and I think the key is to take her back if the Tamiflu doesn't seem to have a quick impact. Good thing it is a Friday so you and August Rose can self quarrantine too. You should all take it easy and get plenty of rest.

Hope she is feeling better really soon and that you and August Rose stay healthy.

Hilary