Saturday, February 06, 2010








Today I took a drive in the blizzard of 2010..I had to. I had to get my SUV on the crunchy crispy pavement. Again, the snow brings me back. I have a pretty rugged SUV so I was able to creep back and forth and back and forth until I made my way out of my parking spot. I was one of a handful of brave folks on the road.
As I inched my out of my development, I was back in Novosibirsk. In Novo, There had already been many many inches (feet) of snow, and then on the day I took custody of AugustRose, there was a blizzard. I had to go and get a couple of things from the grocery store, and took Anna with me. We trudged down the sidewalk, or what used to be the sidewalk, and it took us almost an hour to get there. Only 6 weeks before that, I made it to that same store in about 10 minutes. Anna was so short and kept getting stuck every time she took a step. We were completely bundled up, so warm, and it was one of our last little adventures before we became a threesome. After getting scolded at the market for offering a bill that was too large, we came out to snow falling so hard that we could barely see. I had sunglasses, but poor Anna pretty much covered her eyes the whole way back to the hotel.
Later that day, all of us bundled up and went outside for a play. Only the day before AugustRose was happy to play in the snow at her orphanage, but that day..Nooo way. She clung to be like a koala bear to its Mommy. If I even leaned over to place her in the snow she wailed. So I held her, and her 3 empty water bottles.
So today, I feel like I am conquering the Russian streets by taking my little drive through my city. The crunch and slide of my truck on the road was as powerful as any love song.

So being snowed in, we tackled a project that is long overdue..Painting the girlz rooms. They each picked out their own colors..Anna went with Pink Taffy. She helped with every wall and with every spill or drip on the floor. I think it turned out lovely. She adores it. She said it makes her feel like a princess with all that pink.



So after tons of spills and drips, we finally fished AugustRose's room. She picked Tanerine Cream. It is very cheerful and sunny. The girlz don't have a theme for their rooms, they just have a "color story." That way we can add all sorts of different nic-nax to the room and it will blend.
Since my dad is here, I have had tons of time to work. Of course the girlz want to be there with me, but they get bored and can go downstairs and play with him. Work and Play, work and play...Now to tackle MY bedroom. It is the worst. CLothes everywhere, shoes, purses, schoolwork. Eckkk.
I am just so happy to have gotten these extra days to make my house a home...


10 comments:

Melissa or Missi said...

Love it. What color are you going to do your room?

Annie said...

I really love that orange (sorry "Tangerine Cream" room! How cheerful! I didn't used to care for orange at all, but it is growing on me.

The snow is very pretty! And, to think I never really was in much snow in Russia...only the more glorious and heavenly springtime. (OK four days of January to meet Ilya, but it was just muddy).

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

I think I am going to paint my room a dark yellowish/goldish color...But my room is HUGE and cannot even think about it for a while!!
I need to find a BIG zebra rug...Can you work on that Martha!!

Jen Stevens said...

they both look great! sounds like a fun day. We are getting ready to redo some rooms here too, but first new floors and couches. can ya tell I am bored. ;)

Cjmillett@cox.net said...

How funny! Colleen's room is about to be orange, and Rosie's room is about to be pink!

Diane said...

love the colors and your stories, you are a good story teller!

Tina in CT said...

Very pretty for both girls.

Ursula said...

I love that your girls don't have a theme for their rooms they have a "color story". Mabie they have a future in design??

englishmaninmoscow said...

Wow that snow looks like what we have in Russia !!!

Ian said...

I have to laugh. I have photos of myself and my 3 boys in our boxers painting the RP's bedroom pink getting ready for her arrival. I guess we are not the only ones who paint houses in our skivvies!