Sunday, May 22, 2011

Options and Adentures

I have always said, "In order to truly move forward, sometimes you have to go back.." And I don't know how yet, but I am..I am going backwards, in the most radical way a family can..
I have learned so much about our family lately. I have learned about the way my girlz need and accept love. Thanks to the 5 Love Languages of Children. My girlz are very different. I would say radically, but I already said that.. I am just beginning the book, but HIGHLY encourage any parent to take a read...If you have children under 5, it won't be as useful yet, since very young ones require all five love languages..But for parents like me, who are currently int the season of struggle, it may just be a life saver..



As many of you know I am in need of a job change. The distance to my current school is just too great. I could handle the commute before I was a mom, and before the county changed the bell schedule. But now that both of my girlz will be in school, I need to be more available to be a part of their school experience. As it stands now, I can't make it to very many night events at either my school or the girlz school..Gas prices are killing my budget, and the stress and anxiety I feel during the drive each way is more than my current anti-depressant can handle..Being an early bird to most every event we attend, the unpredictable drive puts me nearly over the ...I know 5 or so minutes late doesn't seem to harsh, but for a chronicly early person, it is horrifying.

I had an interview at a school very close to my home...And never heard anything. The transfer deadline was Friday, so I look to read yet another, "thanks but no thanks" email any day now...I gave honest answers in the interview. I didn't give the answer they thought I should say..I was truthful. So not getting a job that in theory, I already have, sort of cracks me up.

So where does that leave us?
AAS in Moscow and StPeter have told me twice that I can't teach there. (I read their bylaws and although they won't pay for two dependents, they COULD hire me and allow me to pay the other fee)
But it's not gonna happen. I wrote a letter to the school's Board of Directors who is also the Deputy Chief of Mission at the Embassy in Moscow. Haven't sent it yet.. Wondering if I even should..

I can't get a job closer to home..

The Foreign Service is too hard a process to get into to. (let's just say I don't have the time or energy to study for a test..) The FSO can't promise an assignment anyway. The last thing I would want is to go through the hoops to get in only to find out I would have to work in South America some where...

The one option I haven't really investigated much is the idea of teaching in a Russian School. From Tamara I know that there are different challenges, but this would mean I could be with my girlz during the day..And although the salary isn't as it would be in an American School, it would be a guarantee..

The last option has come up a few times. But I have never thought it was very realistic. I am thinking about serving as a missionary in Russia. Now, we all know that I adore the Lord. BUT...I am a
"baby Christian" meaning I am still learning about the Lord and how to live a Christian life. I can't teach adults about coming to Christ..What I can do is teach the children of traditional missionaries. And there are a couple of schools in Russia that do just this. I would have to raise my own money to go, and I am thinking that I would be embarrassed to beg for money. The school in Moscow offers a 10K stipend, and would help find housing. Through research I think we could find a low rent apartment for about 2K a month. I would also rent out my house here in the states and could earn about 6K for the year after expenses. So I would be left to raise around 6K for housing.  I think I could easily beg my friends into giving me some frequent flyer miles for travel, leaving only our day to day expenses... I am researching the going rate for teaching english to children or young adults, and think that I could use that as our day to day expenses..
I have savings that would pay for emergencies.

I am willing to work hard to plan for an adventure that would Take Us Back..If you have any funding ideas, adoption agencies that would want an American in country, a Church willing to assist, or grants sources, please send them my way.. I am praying for the whole thing to work itself out, but if I know one thing, it's that Life is as clear as mud sometimes..

6 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Be realistic about what you need to live in a safe and decent apt. in Moscow. Food costs are outrageous and you need to be careful where you buy meat so you pay through the nose. Are you thinking about teaching in a private Russian school? Ask my daughter about salaries? Also, their school days ends at 7 PM.

Anonymous said...

If you can't get a job closer to your home, can you move homes to be closer to work? Take care. I hate commuting and feel your pain. I moved states to get a short commute.

kate said...

This is what I've been saying! ;>

I think missionary work is a much better option than teaching for a Russian school. What denomination is your church? What is their mission practice? Will they help?

You can easily make $40/hour tutoring in English here in St. P. Probably more. "Native speaker" is your key phrase. But, don't leave yourself in the position of NEEDING to tutor. Get your support raised so that you can live safely and without worries.

I was watching a cheesy reality show yesterday and someone basically said, "Being focused on your dream is good. It will get you your dream. But, sometimes you have to let other people dream for you because then your life will be even bigger than you dreamed."

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

Thanks for the input! I am still praying, plotting and dreaming..It's so close to summer, and I know what happens then...I hit the sandy Naples shores and forget most of this kind of thing and just relax!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you are familar with this blog of an American expat living in Moscow. She also a teacher in Moscow.

http://americangirlsinmoscow.blogspot.com/

Jojo, Julz, Julianne said...

Yes, That Gal teaching in Moscow is Tina in CT's daughter!! It's a wild weird family on blogger!!

I continue to learn from AmericanMom in moscow daily...She is married though and her hubby is there..I DON"T HAVE A HUBBY! so I have to "get her dun" on my own...AND Tammy speaks Russian, German, Spanish and French..SHE is much more employable than this gal!!
BUT THANKS!!
j